The U.S. Justice Department under President Donald Trump and Attorney General Jeff Sessions have agreed to provide congressional investigators confidential records on the failed Barack Hussein Obama era gun-trafficking operation conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives known as “Fast and Furious.”
“Department of Justice Enters Into Conditional Settlement Agreement to Produce Fast and Furious Documents to House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
Today, the Department of Justice entered into a conditional settlement agreement with the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform and will begin to produce additional documents related to Operation Fast and Furious. The conditional settlement agreement, filed in federal court in Washington D.C., would end six years of litigation arising out of the previous administration’s refusal to produce documents requested by the Committee.
In announcing the settlement, Attorney General Sessions said:
“The Department of Justice under my watch is committed to transparency and the rule of law. This settlement agreement is an important step to make sure that the public finally receives all the facts related to Operation Fast and Furious.”
In an agreement that would end the six-year-long battle between GOP lawmakers and the Obama administration Attorney General Jeff Sessions said the justice department would immediately turn over documents to the Republican-led, Trey Gowdey chaired, Congress Committee of Oversight and Government Reform which were previously withheld by the Obama Administration.
This was in part so he could later be able to claim his corrupt administration was scandal-free.
GOWDY’S STATEMENT ON OBAMA’S INVOKING EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE REGARDING FAST AND FURIOUS:
“The assertion of executive privilege is legally compromised and calculated solely to delay Congress from exercising its constitutional responsibility to provide oversight.”
“The President claims he knew nothing about Fast and Furious prior to Agent Brian Terry’s murder and no one at the Department of Justice has suggested the President was part of the drafting of a demonstrably false letter dated February 4, 2011, to a committee of congress.”
“So, my question to the President is: What are you asserting privilege over? Did you know about Fast and Furious before Brian Terry’s murder? Did you approve the operation? Did you participate in the drafting of a false letter to congress? Unless the answer to all of those questions is yes, there is no matter overwhich the President can assert privilege. It is merely the latest ploy to delay the investigation.”
Congressional Republicans had been pressuring the Justice Department for years about this operation which is named after a movie franchise about car racing. The operation was supposed to curb gun-trafficking criminals who were selling weapons to Mexican drug cartels by having to compete with the United States Government. Although this was originally started under the George W. Bush Admisntarion he scrapped it when he saw it wasn’t working as intended. But since Obama was only for disarming law-abiding American Citizens he took it upon himself to try it again, only to find that American guns were used in multiple Mexican cartel massacres. Later it was known that somehow the program allowed nearly 2,000 firearms to find their way into the hands of Mexican cartel members.
In June 2012, the Republican-led House voted to hold Obama’s Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt for failing to turn over documents about the operation. The committee sued Eric Holder for access to the documents in August 2012. Obama later asserted executive privilege to block the disclosure of the documents. And it didn’t go any further because the GOP was afraid to go after the first African American President and his Attorney General.
Let’s hope this time Trey Gowdy can finally get us some answers and we can finally see a few people responsible spend some time in prison.
Via The Daily Caller:
“The Justice Department announced Wednesday it would hand over documents related to the Obama-era Fast and Furious gun scandal to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.
Former President Obama and former Attorney General Eric Holder had previously refused to produce documents requested by Oversight, documents which former Oversight Chairman Jason Chaffetz at the time called “critical” to pursuing the investigation.
The original Fast and Furious operation — conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives — somehow allowed nearly 2,000 firearms to find their way into the hands of Mexican cartel members.
Firearms connected to the program were found at multiple crime scenes in both the United States and Mexico, including the murder scene of Border Patrol agent Brian Terry.
“The Department of Justice under my watch is committed to transparency and the rule of law,” Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in Wednesday a statement accompanying the announcement. “This settlement agreement is an important step to make sure that the public finally receives all the facts related to Operation Fast and Furious.”
Current Oversight Chairman Trey Gowdy did not immediately respond to The Daily Caller’s request for comment on the release.”